“More than 3,600 brokerages worldwide including 90 of the top 100 U.S. insurance firms use our proven solutions to differentiate themselves from the competition.”
Zywave is not like any other technology company in the insurance space. Not only does the company have world-class technology solutions that have been developed specifically to drive growth for independent insurance agencies, it also has the most robust service and support teams in the industry- teams of hundreds of experts who help brokers execute with their tools.
In fact, Zywave calls its customers, “partners.” They consider themselves an extension of the agency. Being born from an insurance agency itself, its expertise and commitment to the industry runs deep.
Zywave has technology solutions for benefits and P&C brokers, as well as personal lines agents. Their suite of products includes solutions for agency marketing, claims & data analytics, agency management, communication portals, online enrollment and HR support.
A conversation with Zywave CEO, Dave O’Brien
Tell us about the first product that Zywave launched:
The first product that Zywave developed was DecsionMaster®Warehouse. When it was launched in 1995, it was the insurance industry’s first medical claims analytics tool. With DecisionMaster Warehouse, brokers can pinpoint medical and Rx cost drivers and utilization trends for their clients with accurate and actionable reporting and analysis. They can help their clients uncover cost-savings opportunities with their medical and Rx claims. Decision Master Warehouse benchmarks claims against the largest, normative data benchmarks in the US.
If you have to list five factors that have been/are the biggest asset to your organization, what would they be and why?
- Our close relationship with the broker community: Because of our roots in a brokerage and partnerships with more than 3,600 independent agencies across the US, we benefit from unparalleled insight into evolving trends in the marketplace. This access allows us to very quickly spread best practices and information for immediate feedback.
- Feedback from employers: with direct feedback from more than 350,000 employers who use our tools through their brokers, we are able to pinpoint their top needs and give the broker the tools necessary to speak to them – with the elegance and simplicity of an integrated suite.
- Our suite of tools: we have a suite of 14 products for independent insurance brokers and agents. We offer technology platforms help agencies transform from average growth firms to high growth firms. From employee benefits to workers’ compensation, our comprehensive suite gives a broker everything they need to deliver a superior client experience.
- Our passionate team: Our more than 350 employees in Milwaukee drive hard every day to dig in and help our brokers execute. Our singular focus is our brokers’ success and our team is passionate about helping them win and retain business.
- Our culture: we believe excellence is a habit - not a skill - born by relentless change and improvement. Brokers come on board with us and stay, in part, due to our tireless work to innovate through products and services.
How big is your organization today? Briefly explain the organizational structure?
- Roughly 400 employees, located throughout the US, UK and Canada
- Sales makes up roughly 1/3 of the company. We have SMB, Inside, Outside and Enterprise Sales teams, Product Development makes up roughly 1/3 of the company; the other 1/3 is comprised of the following departments and teams: Content, Service and Support, Product Management, Operations, Marketing, and Administration.
Where do you see you and your company a couple of years from now?
- The insurance industry changes so rapidly, that we have to be ready for anything. We know that employers’ demands for technology-backed services from their brokers continue to increase and that we need to keep a very close pulse on the demands from the market. Our commitment remains the same: to drive growth for brokers and agencies. Our teams of people at Zywave watch analyze and anticipate market and industry trends so that we can always be ready with the most relevant tools, resources and support to help agencies overcome obstacles to growth and to seize market opportunities as they arise.
- In 2017, we are making some incredible, game-changing enhancements to our flagship product, Broker Briefcase. Our enhancements are going to include emails that notify brokers.
Let’s get to know this innovative leader
Dave O’Brien, CEO: Dave has been with Zywave since its inception in the 1990s. He helped create the first data analytics tool for brokers, which he began using himself. Under Dave’s leadership, Zywave has been making a significant impact in the industry and growing through innovation.
“Our company revolves around two main principles: partnership and driving results for our customers.”