/script src="https://cdn.jotfor.ms/agent/embedjs/019aed6b767f7ddf8a544a9c4d673d188bcb/embed.js">
Zambia has resumed vote counting after a nationwide suspension triggered by attacks on election officials and the theft of marked ballot papers, with opposition leader Brian Mundubile claiming victory without evidence. Zambia's Electoral Commission lifted a nationwide suspension of vote counting on Friday, August 14, after an unprecedented halt caused by violence targeting election officials and the theft of marked ballot papers. The suspension had been imposed on the same day by the commission, citing a deteriorating security situation that threatened the integrity of the electoral process. "Following a review of the security situation and consultations with the relevant law enforcement agencies, I'm pleased to inform you and to inform the nation that the security threat to the electoral process has been contained," said Mwangala Zaloumis, chairperson of the Electoral Commission of Zambia. The violence, which the commission said was targeted at poll staff, included reports of marked ballot papers being stolen from ballot boxes in some districts. Riot police and military personnel were deployed to parts of the capital, Lusaka, including the main vote tallying centre, as authori...