>>
Industry>>
Metals and Mining>>
Deadly Toxic Gas Explosion in ...A deadly blast has once again raised serious questions about mine safety in China. At least 90 miners were killed after a gas explosion at China’s Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province. Rescue operations continue as authorities investigate mine officials and safety failures.
At least 90 people have been killed after a massive gas explosion in China coal mine in northern China’s Shanxi province, marking the country’s deadliest mining disaster in more than a decade. The explosion happened late Friday evening at the Liushenyu Coal Mine in Qinyuan County, where 247 workers were underground at the time of the blast. According to Chinese state media, rescue teams rushed to the site as smoke and toxic gases spread through the mine tunnels.
Emergency authorities confirmed that rescue operations are still ongoing, while dozens of injured miners continue to receive treatment in nearby hospitals. One worker remains in critical condition.
What caused the explosion
Early reports suggest dangerously high gas levels may have triggered the Chinese coal mine explosion. State media said a carbon monoxide alert had been issued shortly before the disaster, with gas concentrations reportedly exceeding safety limits. Several survivors described terrifying scenes underground.
One injured miner, Wang Yong, said he suddenly saw smoke filling the tunnel moments before workers began collapsing. “I smelled sulphur. I shouted at people to run,” he said. “As we were running, people started falling from the fumes.”
Authorities have not officially confirmed the exact cause but investigators are now examining possible safety failures at the mine.
Officials in custody as investigation begins
According to Chinese state media, CEOs and officials in charge of managing the mine were detained. The mine operator, is already under examination for allegedly collecting safety-related penalties earlier this year. And over 700 rescue and medical workers, including teams from China's Ministry of Emergency Management, were sent to assist at the scene.
However, in 2024, China's National Mine Safety Administration categorized the Liushenyu mine as having severe safety hazards.
President calls for stronger safety measures
Chinese President Xi Jinping told authorities to do everything possible to rescue survivors and help the injured. He also called for a full investigation and stronger safety rules at workplaces across the country. Premier Li Qiang supported these instructions. He asked officials to share updates quickly and ensure those responsible are held accountable.
China’s coal industry under new pressure
Shanxi province is China’s biggest coal-producing region, accounting for more than a quarter of the country’s coal output. China remains the world’s largest producer and consumer of coal, despite rapidly expanding its renewable energy sector.
As far as The Silicon Review observes, China has made mining safer since the early 2000s by introducing stricter rules and deaths reduced. However, deadly accidents still happen. In 2023, a mine collapse in Inner Mongolia killed 53 people. In 2009, an explosion in Heilongjiang killed more than 100 workers.
This latest disaster is likely to increase pressure on Chinese authorities to carry out stricter inspections, improve safety for miners and rely less on dangerous coal mining. It also highlights the challenge China faces as it tries to grow its economy while improving safety and moving toward cleaner energy sources.